Firefighters continued to battle a fire at the Port of Los Angeles yesterday, after a welding accident sent a port warehouse up in flames Monday evening.
While fire officials said the blaze was more than 90% contained, firefighters are having a particulalry difficult time putting out the last remnants of the fire because the structure underneath the warehouse is doused in a chemical called creosote, which protects lumber from water-damage.
When burned, cresote becomes a potentially toxic air pollutant. Mayor Garcetti and other officials advised local residents that if they see or smell smoke, to stay indoors, close windows, and use air conditioners with new air filters.
Students from schools close to the port were relocated to other schools with safer air quality.
Check out the future home of Annenberg student media:
Wallis Annenberg Hall
(opening Fall 2014)